Bury me where it rains

A moment of gratitude for the rain.
͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­
 
Healthline
 
 
Wellness Wire
 
 
In a Nutshell
Soon, the rainy season will be over where I live. This means that, sadly, I will have to stop checking my weather app multiple times a day to track the next storm. I'll have to remember how to focus on work through the chorus of birds chirping and thick rays of sunlight flooding into my living room. I will move my beloved rain boots to the back of my closet, where they will stay alone and neglected until October.
It's not that I dislike summer. I have no vendetta against wearing shorts or drinking Aperol spritzes. But the sun doesn't get me the way the rain does. That sweet fresh smell, the pitter-patter overhead, the damp air on my skin — I love it all so much.
You may be wondering how I can be so sentimental about a simple weather pattern. And I've wondered the same. Well, I think I finally have some of the answers, and today I'm going to share them with you. But first, some stories for your Friday:
Super sleepy all day? Try these tips
Best brain stimulating games for dementia
What are the early signs of macular degeneration?
Let it pour,
Ginger Wojcik
Newsletter Editor, Healthline
 
 
  Written by Ginger Wojcik
March 29, 2024 • 4 min read
 
 
 
Why a rainy day fills me with gratitude
what's got us buzzing
Why a rainy day fills me with gratitude
I grew up in a rural corner of Northern California where it rained most of winter. In my childhood house, we had two large windows in the living room that looked out over the property. I was not a particularly calm kid, but when it was raining I could sit in front of those windows all day, too captivated, even, to torment my little brother.
A lot of my love for the rain can be described as hygge, the Scandinavian concept of feeling warm, secure, and present in the moment. Rain is an automatic pass for wearing sweats all day and making endless cups of tea. As a homebody, this naturally suits me.
As someone who struggles on a daily basis to concentrate, the rain is also my friend. It has a way of making overwise distracting elements fall into the background. The street noise is muted. The colors are duller. When it's raining, I don't have to spend all day fighting that primal urge to get up from my desk and all my screens to go play in the sun. And yes, that is a sad reason, I suppose. So it goes.
I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years, through a particularly long and rainless drought. And during those rainless winters, it was almost as if the dryness outside wormed its way inside of me. I yearned for those big windows from my childhood and the drumming of big drops overhead.
Thankfully, I recently relocated back to the top of the state, close to where I grew up. And I'm pretty much giddy all winter. It's not as much rain as we got when I was a kid, but it's enough to keep the hills bright green for months. I truly didn't know how much I missed it until I was back, trudging groceries in from the car in a downpour. Waking up to windows rattling from the wind. And seeing days of rain pile up on the forecast.
The rain is by no means a universally innocent force. Many people live in places where rain brings the risk of flooding and destruction. It can be a source of great fear and pain. And for those who live with seasonal affective disorder, the lack of sunlight can cause serious symptoms.
So, I count myself lucky when I say this: for me, the rain will always be an emotional haven, a place as close to home as it gets.
Do you feel a strong emotional attachment to elements of the weather? Let us know at wellnesswire@healthline.com! (We may use your response in an upcoming newsletter.)
WEATHER AND YOUR MOOD
 
 
 
Great finds
Stay dry out there!
 
 
 
BOGS Waterproof Insulated Boots
BOGS Waterproof Insulated Boots
I'm in love with these rain boots. They're totally waterproof (obviously) but they're also insulated, so they stay super warm when it's frosty outside. I wore them in the snow a couple of weeks ago, and my feet stayed cozy the whole time. For a pair of rain boots, they're pretty stylish, too. They also have these convenient little handles that help you pull them on. Love!
SHOP NOW
Every product we recommend has gone through either Healthline's or Optum Store's vetting processes. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Healthline has sole editorial control over this newsletter. Potential uses for the products listed here are not health claims made by the manufacturers. Healthline and Optum Store are owned by RVO Health.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
health stories you need
What we're reading next
🥑 6 of the most liver-friendly foods out there. There are some delicious options on this list!
❤️‍🩹 What's the outlook and life expectancy after a stroke? It's possible to make a full recovery.
🪖 Tips for taking care of your well-being as a veteran. If it doesn't feel natural to focus on your own wellness, this is for you.
😟 Is it a heart attack or a panic attack? The signs can be similar, but there are ways to tell them apart.
 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading, friends! I hope you get exactly the type of weather you crave this weekend. See you on Monday!
 
 
 
 
 
Until next time,
healthline
Take care of yourself, and we'll see
you again soon!
 
 
Telegram
This edition was powered by
nostalgia.
 
fb   tiktok   X   youtube   insta
View in browser

Did a friend send you this email? Subscribe here.
To see all newsletters, click here.

Privacy    |    Unsubscribe

Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Healthline does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Healthline encourages you to make any treatment decisions with your healthcare professional. Healthline is owned by RVO Health.

© 2024 Healthline Media LLC
275 7th Ave., 24th Floor
New York, NY 10001
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment